GlobalPittsburgh Homestay Program
Every year thousands of American families share their version of America with international visitors. Students, scholars, researchers and professionals from all over the world come to Pittsburgh to learn and share their knowledge and experience.
GlobalPittsburgh helps international newcomers integrate in the local culture and community by arranging short-term (up to 6 months) homestays with the local families.
A homestay with an American host family is a great way to experience life in the USA in the home of an individual host, host couple, or family. A short-term homestay is a great way to begin your stay in Pittsburgh. You will learn more about the communities and areas around your university or office, as well as what Pittsburgh has to offer visitors.
Looking for a homestay?
Homestays are available and useful for students of any age but they are not ideal for every student and every situation. Homestays are probably most helpful for students coming to the United States for the first time and interested in having a safe, family environment get used to life in a different country; learn about American family life and values; interact with people of different ages; and share their own culture and interests. Homestay students must be willing to make an effort to communicate and cooperate with others and accept the rules and preferences of the families with whom they live. For example, most homestay families do not allow smoking in their homes. Because of the additional responsibility involved, students seeking a homestay should be mature, stable individuals who are good-natured and flexible.
Please note, that GlobalPittsburgh does not guarantee that we will find you a host family that fully matches your requirements. However, we will do our best to meet your expectations. No charges will occur before the host family is secured for you.
Why should I consider staying in a homestay?
- A "homestay" is a cultural exchange in which a person visiting or temporarily staying in another country lives with a family. Homestays involve relationships between people and should not be confused with a boarding-house or hotel experience in which a person only rents a room.
- You've got tutors in your home - your family can help you with homework, idioms, vocabulary and pronunciation. You can practice your English languesge skills daily.
- Living with a family provides a quiet atmosphere for study and a greater sense of security for some students.
- A homestay exposes students to a rich variety of cultural learning opportunities, such as family activities, holiday celebrations, religious practices, sporting events, etc.
- Fees associated with homestay are much cheaper than those of hotels, apartments or dormitory. Plus, many of our host families will share meals with their international guests.
- You do not need to worry about buying additional items like pillows, blankets, mirrors, desk and all the bedding and towels. It is all available for you to use in the host's house.
- You do not need to pay any additional fees for electricity, internet, water, gas, heat, trash removal; it is all included in your monthly compensation.
- A homestay often results in students developing deep, lasting friendships with their families. Such a personal connection gives many students a real sense of stability in their lives here.
Why choose GlobalPittsburgh as a homestay provider?
- GlobalPittsburgh (formerly Pittsburgh Council for International Visitors) has been arranging homestays for international visitors for more than 50 years.
- Our host families and staff members have proven excellence in the provided services.
- All host families have been interviewed and their homes have been visited by GlobalPittsburgh staff.
- We work with each applicant individually trying to find the best matching host family.
- By arranging a homestay through GlobalPittsburgh an international visitor automatically becomes a GlobalPittsburgh member. The benefits of membership with our organization are priceless for international newcomers! It is a great way to connect to local residents and other internationals through networking activities arranged by GlobalPittsburgh. GlobalPittsburgh membership has a financial value of over $900 a year!
Want to host international visitors in your home?
Why become a GlobalPittsburgh host family?
- Cultural exchange - learn about different countries, cultures and languages firsthand
- Develop cultural sensitivity, understanding and appreciation of cultural differences
- Make lifelong friends from around the world
- Become an ambassador for your local community
- Help shape the views that international visitors have of the United States and its citizens
- GlobalPittsburgh provides monthly compensation for homestay hosting