Thank you for your interest in GlobalPittsburgh Homestay Program!
***PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY BEFORE FILLING IN THE HOMESTAY APPLICATION FORM***
- TO HAVE A BETTER CHANCE TO BE PLACED WITH A HOST FAMILY PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION NO LATER THAN 20 DAYS PRIOR TO THE DATE OF YOUR REQUIRED HOMESTAY.
- While GlobalPittsburgh promises to do everything to find you the best available host family, we cannot guarantee placing you with a host family that meets all your requirements, nor do we guarantee that we will find you a host family to accept you.
- USA is a multi-cultural country with people from different backgrounds that makes us unique as a country. All host families speak English.
- The American family may not be what you expect. There are many different kinds of families involved: retired couples, single-parent families, single individuals, widows, multi-racial and multi-cultural families, as well as traditional families. But whether they are young or old, with or without children, they all share a strong interest in international students and cross-cultural communication. Many of them have traveled or lived abroad, so they can identify with you. They are excited to welcome you into their homes and assist you in your adjustment to life here.
- The majority of families in the U.S. have pets - cats and/or dogs - that are treated as family members.
- GlobalPittsburgh arranges homestays with local families for up to 6 months. If you are planning to spend more than 6 months in Pittsburgh, you should plan to rent a room or an apartment after 6 months of the homestay. However, you both you and your host family would like to continue the homestay, it can be extended.
- We may not be able to find a homestay for you if you are travelling with your child, spouse, or a relative.
- If you are traveling with a friend you should not expect that you will both be placed with the same host family. Sometimes it is possible but not always.
- Host families may or may not cook regularly. We have different rates for a homestay with and without meals. In case your host family does not cook and you agree to provide your own meals, you are responsible for buying your own groceries and personal care products. Your host family will be willing to take you to the grocery store with them when they go food shopping. When a host family cooks regularly and you wish to have meals with the family, your homestay compensation rate will be higher.
- Do not expect your host family to pick you up from the airport. While some people have the availablility to do so, most of our hosts work during the day and it is not convenient for them to drive to the airport and back. There are other ways of getting from the airport to your host's house: 1. Super Shuttle services; 2. Uber; 3. taxi cab; 4. bus # 28
- Do not expect your host family to drive you daily. Pittsburgh is called a city of neighborhoods. While the major businesses and colleges are located in the city, many people live outside of the city. Most of our host families live close to bus and trolley lines. You should expect that the one-way bus ride to your college/internship may take 20-40 minutes. The bus fare is usually $2.50 one way. Your host family will show you the closest bus stop and will help you use the bus schedule. Some universities provide bus passes to their students.
- All our host families have high speed or wireless internet in their homes. You may also get wifi access at your university, public library, and at almost every coffee shop.
- In case of any major damage to the host family’s house or other property that you intentionally or accidentally may cause, please be ready to take full or partial financial responsibility.
FEES AND PAYMENTS
- All fees and homestay compensations are to be paid to GlobalPittsburgh upon receiving an electronic invoice from our Homestay Manager Nadya Kessler.
- We also accept payments in cash, and checks sent or delievered to our office located at 305 34th Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201. All checks should be made to PCIV/GlobalPittsburgh.
- Placement fee is to be paid immediately after the host family is secured.
- Compensation for a homestay is to be paid one week before the student arrives to Pittsburgh and/or to his host family and at the beginning of each consecutive month of the homestay.
- GlobalPittsburgh guarantees timely payments to the host families on behalf of the guests.
Placement fee (includes membership for 1 year) - $180
Compensation for 1 month without meals - $580
Compensation for 1 month with breakfast and dinner - $740